Dryer Vent Cleaning in East Hampton
Don’t Fall Victim to the Second-Most Common Cause of House Fires
Just like your air ducts, you can’t see inside your dryer vent! Using our video inspection camera, we can show you all the dirt and lint that stays inside your vents even after you’ve cleared the lint trap. Over time, lint will build up in the dryer, transition duct, and exhaust duct, reducing airflow and increasing the risk of fires. When excess humidity is trapped by the build-up, mold and bacteria will follow. Fortunately, Grant Heating & Cooling can get rid of this dirt and clear what’s obstructing your dryer ducts.
Signs it’s Time to Clean Your Dryer Vent
A lot of homeowners miss the warning signs of a clogged dryer vent. So, even if you don’t use our services, we want to make sure you keep an eye out for:
- A burning or musty odor from your dryer
- Utility bill increases with no other detectable cause
- Loads taking longer to dry than they used to
- A peek inside the vent reveals a lot of lint
- An accumulation of dryer lint on the inside of the dryer door
- More heat than usual when you lay your hand on top of the dryer after running for 15 minutes
- Excessive lint on dark clothing
- You’ve gone more than a year without calling a dryer vent cleaning company
If you notice smoke, sparking, or an intense burning smell in your laundry room, shut off your dryer immediately. These things can be signs of an impending firestorm.
The Importance of Dryer Vent Cleaning
According to data from the Consumer Product Safety Commission, dryer issues result in 20 deaths, 370 injuries, and over $75 million in property damage each year. The main cause of all this destruction? Lint. Smart homeowners have their dryer vents cleaned periodically for the following reasons:
- Fire Prevention: This is the main cause of the costs discussed earlier. Dryer lint is one of the most flammable items in your home. With estimates of 15,500 US home fires being attributed to dirty dryer vents—making it the second-most common cause—it is more important than ever to get your dryer vent regularly cleaned.
- Time Savings: As your dryer vent fills with lint and dust, drying time will increase. While you might not notice the extra one or two minutes at first, eventually you’ll have to run every load through an extra cycle. Hiring someone to clean your dryer vent saves you extra time and effort.
- More Money in Your Wallet: If your clogged dryer vent means drying everything twice, you’re throwing money out the window. Although you’ll have to pay a dryer vent cleaning company, the savings will more than recoup the cost.
For the optimal balance of cost and safety, experts advise getting your dryer vent cleaned once or twice a year depending on the size of your family and laundry volume.
Things You Can Do to Reduce Lint Build-Up and Keep Your Family Safe
As a homeowner, there are things you can do to help prevent lint build-up and stretch out the time between our visits. Though you might be thinking of those DIY dryer cleaning kits, that’s not what we’re talking about. We’ve seen what those can do and we are NOT impressed. Also, finding a brush that fits your model of dryer can be difficult. Instead, we suggest:
- Avoiding running the dryer when no one’s home
- Replacing foil or plastic ducts with semi-rigid ones
- Securing duct joints with metal tape
- Only using dryer ducts that are 4 or more inches in diameter
- Removing build-up from the lint filter after each load
- Washing your lint screen every couple of weeks to get rid of detergent residue
- Installing a screen on the outside dryer duct to keep animals and debris out
- Cleaning the dryer vent hose regularly
- Never operating the dryer without the lint holder in place
Call Grant Heating & Cooling for Dryer Vent Cleaning in East Hampton
Grant Heating & Cooling’s dryer cleaning experts aren’t afraid to get dirty to ensure your dryer vent is clean and your family safe. Reach out to us at (631) 324-0679 for pricing and other information.
Grant Heating & Cooling is an HVAC company serving the Southampton, Sag Harbor, East Hampton. In addition to dryer vent cleaning, we also offer ac repair and replacement services.